|Chemistry Vocab Scrambled Wordangle #04()|
Are you looking for educator lesson plan resources to engage critical thinking skills? This academic chemistry vocabulary word angle puzzle includes a list of 23 word clues with scrambled letters. Most words hidden in the grid have word paths that include one right hand turn.
Problem solving strategies could include:
1. rearrange the letters in the word clues to reveal the correct spelling for all 23 words; record the correct spelling
2. before solving the puzzle, 'engage' the brain by first reviewing the complete list of words
3. locate some of the longer words first, since their letter paths will take up more squares
4. word paths travel up, down, forwards, backwards; there are no diagonal letter paths
5. trace each word path, remembering to be on the look out for the right hand turn
6. track progress, by checking off the words, as they are located in the grid
7. work with a peer to help solve the puzzle
8. note that scrambled letter clues do not always represent the number of letters in each multiple word clue. (e.g. 'covalent bond' may be scrambled to look like: 'bnntc vaeolod').
Lesson plan activity and resource ideas:
1. create new word search puzzles [see link below for blank word search grids]
2. create more critical thinking skills activities by having students make connections between this list of academic words and the elements of the periodic table [periodic table of elements puzzles found here: Chemistry-Periodic Table puzzles]
3. have students work together on activity #2 since students learn best by collaborating
4. include the Frayer Model graphic organizer to help consolidate understanding of academic vocabulary
5. record definitions of academic vocabulary
Link to blank word search grids: blank word search grids.
Benefits of puzzles:
1. helps build and consolidate knowledge of academic chemistry vocabulary
2. activates problem solving strategies
3. engages critical thinking skills
4. supports visual acuity
5. supports fine motor skill development