|Periodic Table Wordangle #12()|
Are you a academic science educator looking for lesson plan resources and activity ideas for the periodic table? This academic chemistry periodic table puzzle includes a list of 20 unique periodic elements hidden in a word search grid. Most letter paths have one right angled turn in the solution. That is why puzzle is called a wordangle puzzle!
How to solve the puzzle:
-review the list of words to engage the brain
-word paths travel horizontally, forwards, backwards, vertically, but not diagonally
-note intersection points: some word paths DO cross
-trace, or circle, letter paths: most word paths have one right angled turn
-track progress: check off words as they are located in the grid
Activity ideas for academic chemistry:
1. have students CREATE word search puzzles to exchange with peers to solve [use blank word search grids found at the link below]
2. IDENTIFY elements with multiple isotopes and describe their variations (e.g. Carbon-12, Carbon-13, Carbon-14,etc)
3. use list of words as research prompts (e.g. how were some of the elements named? (Boron, for example))
4. can the list of elements in the word clues be combined to form compounds?
5. get students to create other brain teaser puzzles: crossword puzzles, scrambled letters puzzles, cryptograms, cryptolists
Blank word search grids found here: blank word searches.
Benefits of solving puzzles:
1. support brain health
2. improve memory
3. activate problem solving strategies and critical thinking skills
4. support visual acuity