|Periodic Table Word Maze#09()|
Looking for interactive resources to support academic chemistry? Here is a periodic table of elements word maze puzzle to engage students' critical thinking skills. List of 20 periodic elements whose letter paths create an intricate maze like structure. Letters in the word clues travel in all directions: vertically, horizontally, diagonally! Word paths will cross each other.
One possible way to solve the puzzle:
1. LOCATE the circled letter (first letter of the first hidden word)
2. TRACE the letter path of the first word, watching for letter path traveling in all 8 directions
3. REMEMBER: letter paths continuous from the first element to the last element
4. ENGAGE critical thinking skills and problem solving strategies to determine the next word, based on letter clues
5. TRACK progress by checking off the word clues as they are found
Lesson plan activity ideas:
1. to FOSTER independent learning ask students to CREATE unique word search puzzles - use the list of words and any of a number of blank word search grids located here: blank word search grid templates
2. ENGAGE students' critical thinking skills - ORGANIZE list of elements by: a) stability/instability of elemental isotopes, b) toxicity levels (least to most/most to least), c) atomic number/weight/mass, d) period, e) group, f) ancient/modern, g) other?
3. facilitate INNOVATION - students combine the elements from this list, with other known elements, to create compounds (e.g. Carbon + Oxygen = CO2)
Solving puzzles confers benefits:
1. activates problem solving strategies
2. engages critical thinking skills
3. engages the brain