|BHM Crosspatch 07 For Google Apps
Here is a fun and engaging Black History Month crosspatch puzzle (with letter hints) that support vocabulary building and encourages students to use a variety of problem solving strategies (see list below). Crosspatch puzzles are a form of crossword puzzles. There are a couple of differences: 1) the clues are exclusively word clues, 2) list of words are not organized in any order. this puzzle includes letter hints to support differentiated classrooms. Students need to fill-in-the-blanks with the correct words.
Here are some problem solving strategies to solve the puzzle:
1) review the list of words to engage the brain (use prior knowledge to help match list of words with blanks in the grid)
2) organize list of 20 words by number of letters in the word (organizing information is a problem solving strategy)
3) fill-in-the-blanks with the words that match with the letter clues (1:1 correspondence)
4) have students track progress by marking words as the puzzle blanks are filled (process of elimination)
5) identify words with the least number letters, or the most number of letters (organize information)
6) fill-in-the-blanks that match these words (1:1 correspondence)
7) once puzzle is filled with words from 3-5, complete the puzzle by: a) scan the grid for intersection points of letters and match them with the remaining words in the list; and/or b) use trial and error when no letter intersections are obvious
Download the free puzzle to print and/or copy the file to your computer to complete is using Google Apps version.