Are you an instructor looking for lesson plan resources for academic chemistry? This chemistry vocabulary scrambled letters word search puzzle engages critical thinking skills while activating problem solving strategies. 25 chemistry words, related to the periodic table, have their letters scrambled. The challenge is to locate the words (examples could include: standard state, gas, particle accelerator) hidden in the grid.
To solve the puzzle:
1. rearrange the scrambled letters to reveal the words hidden in the grid; record the correct spelling
2. next, locate the circled letters; these are the first letter of each word
3. then, trace or circle the letter paths of each word
4. finally, track progress by checking off each word as it is found
Additional lesson plan activities could include:
1. record definitions for some of the chemistry words
2. have students create their own word search puzzles to share with peers to solve [link to blank word search grids is below]
3. engage critical thinking skills by having students make connections between the list of these 25 chemistry words and the elements found in the periodic table [periodic elements' puzzles to support this activity can be found here: Chemistry-Periodic Table puzzles]
Blank word search grids found here: blank word search grids.
Puzzle is suitable:
- as a tutoring resource to support vocabulary and knowledge building
- for students in high school grades 9-12 learning academic chemistry language
- for students in home school learning environments
- for providing university students with a review of periodic table vocabulary and elements