Looking for educator resources for academic chemistry vocabulary? Chemistry vocabulary scrambled letters word search puzzle engages critical thinking skills while activating problem solving strategies. Supports growth and development of academic vocabulary. The list of 25 words are related to the periodic table. The challenge is to locate the words (examples could include: gas, solid, periodic) hidden in the grid, after first unscrambling the letters. Note: some clues have more than one word, but the scrambled letter clues do not always represent the number of letters in each word.
Solve the puzzle:
- first, rearrange the scrambled letters to reveal the words hidden in the grid and then record the correct spelling (this helps to keep track of the words hidden in the grid); start with the shorter, easier scrambled letter clues
- next, locate each word in the grid
- then, circle the letter paths of each academic word
- finally, track progress by checking off words as they are found
Other dynamic and interactive lesson plan ideas:
1. have students create their own word search puzzles to share with peers to solve [link found below]
2. continue to engage students' critical thinking skills by getting them to make connections between this list of chemistry words and the elements of the periodic table [puzzles to support this activity found here: Chemistry-Periodic Table puzzles]
Blank word search grids link: blank word search grids.
Interactive and engaging puzzle suitable for:
- supporting academic vocabulary building through tutoring
- providing vocabulary building resources for high school students in grades 9-12 learning academic chemistry language
- vocabulary building for students in home school learning environments
- providing university students with a dynamic review of periodic table vocabulary and elements