|Chemistry Vocab Scrambled Wordangle #01()|
Are you an educator looking to engage grades 9-12 students' critical thinking skills? This academic chemistry vocabulary word angle puzzle includes another challenge to the puzzle! The word clues have scrambled letters! List of 21 words is related to the periodic table. Wordangle puzzles are word search puzzles with most letter paths having one right hand turn in the solution.
Problem solving strategies:
1. rearrange the scrambled letters to reveal the list of hidden words - record the correct spelling
2. review the complete list of words to get the brain 'engaged'
3. use the circled letters as letter hints; these are the first letters in each hidden word
4. locate some of the longer words first, since their letter paths will take up more squares: go from most number of letters to fewest number of letters in the word clues
5. letter paths travel up, down, forwards, backwards; there are no diagonal letter paths
6. circle, or trace the letter paths to show the word clues, remembering the right hand turn
7. track progress, by checking off the words, as they are located in the grid; similar to the process of elimination
8. work with a peer to help solve the puzzle
9. put words in alphabetical order; some students may find this easier to work systematically
Other lesson plan activity ideas:
1. students create word search puzzles to share with others to solve [link is below]
2. create more critical thinking skills activities by having students make connections between this list of chemistry words and elements of the periodic table [find the periodic table of elements puzzles here: Chemistry-Periodic Table puzzles]
3. have students work together on activity #2 since students learn best by interacting and learning with their peers
4. include the Frayer Model graphic organizer to help consolidate understanding of academic vocabulary
Blank word searches found here: blank word search grids.
Puzzles have benefits:
1. supports tutoring high school students
2. provides academic vocabulary building resources for students in grades 9-12
3. supports home school learning environments, grades 9-12
4. provides university students with a dynamic review of periodic table vocabulary and elements
5. adults enjoy a challenging brain teaser