|Chemistry Vocab Scrambled Wordangle #06()|
Looking for teacher resources to engage critical thinking skills in students grades 9-12? This academic chemistry vocabulary word angle puzzle, includes a list of 21 word clues with scrambled letters. Most words hidden in the grid have letter paths that include one right hand turn.
Ideas for problem solving:
1. rearrange the scrambled letters in each word clue and record its correct spelling
2. review the complete list of words, prior to solving the puzzle, to 'engage' the brain
3. start looking for some of the longer words first, since their letter paths will take up more squares: go from most number of letters to fewest number of letters in the word clues
4. remember that letter paths travel up, down, forwards, backwards; there are no diagonal letter paths
5. trace each letter path of the word clues, and watch for the right hand turn
6. track progress, by checking off the words
7. work with a peer to help solve the puzzle
8. put words in alphabetical order; some students may find this easier to work systematically
9. note that scrambled letter clues do not always represent the number of letters in each multiple word clue. (e.g. 'covalent bond' may be scrambled to look like: 'bnntc vaeolod').
Lesson plan activities:
1. create new word search puzzles [link is below for blank word search grids]
2. create more problem solving skills activities by having students make connections between this list of chemistry words and elements of the periodic table [periodic table of elements puzzles found here: Chemistry-Periodic Table puzzles]
3. have students collaborate on activity #2 since students learn best by interacting and learning from their peers
4. record definitions for the list of academic vocabulary
Link to blank word search grids: blank word search grids.
Benefits of puzzles:
1. supports tutoring high school students
2. provides academic chemistry vocabulary building resources
3. supports home school learning environments
4. provides university students with an interactive and engaging review of periodic table vocabulary and elements
5. supports adult brain health