|Earth Space Wordangles 08 For Google Apps
Looking for fun and interactive educator activity ideas and resources for Earth Space? Here is a wordangle puzzle, similar to a word search, with a twist in the puzzle - a right angled twist. A list of 20 space words is hidden in the grid. Choice board activity ideas, below, augment programming: included are a number of innovative ideas to support both online and offline activities. Puzzle is suitable for students in grades 4,5,6, home schools and as a tutoring resource.
To access the free puzzle to print, click on the image for the PDF. To access the Google apps version, click on the Google apps link to copy the file to the computer.
To solve the puzzle:
- review the list of 20 words below the grid
- locate the words hidden in the grid
- trace the word path, remembering to watch for the right hand turn in most word paths
- some paths may cross
- check off words as they are located
Choice board activities:
l. IGNITE curiosity: encourage kids to ask questions. For example: What would happen if the Earth's orbit was not elliptical? What if our solar system experienced another big bang?! What might the new universe look like?
2. ENGAGE critical thinking skills while engaging kids' imaginations by getting them to create a treasure map using some of the space words (e.g. Earth, solar system, outer planets)
3. SPARK innovation by getting kids to construct a model (either 2D or 3D) for a new, and yet undiscovered, solar system. Remember to include notes on planning, or pictures (stages of construction), problems and how they were solved, final product, reflections)
4. ENGAGE kids' brains by having them create word searches from blank word search grids (links below)
Link to blank word search grids: blank word search
Link to basic 11x11 word search grid: 11 by 11 grid
Link to sun shaped, blank word search grid: sun shaped word search grid Use this blank grid as a: planet, the sun, full moon, new moon, harvest moon
Link to moon shaped, blank word search grid: moon shaped word search grid