|BHM Crosspatch 13 For Google Apps
Here is an engaging and interactive lesson plan resource for Black History Month. BHM crosspatch puzzle activates multiple problem solving strategies, engages students' brain and supports vocabulary building. Most students are familiar with crossword puzzles. This crosspatch puzzle is similar to regular crossword puzzles, except for:
1) clues are exclusively word clues, and
2) word clues are not organized by number of letters (similar to freeform crosswords)
Solve the puzzle by filling-in-the-blanks with the correct word clues.
Problem solving strategies can include:
- brain engagement: first REVIEW the list of words
- organize information: ORGANIZE word clues by number of letters to add some structure
- organize information: IDENTIFY a word with the least number letters, or most number of letters, or a word with a unique number of letters
- 1:1 correspondence: FILL-IN-THE-BLANKS with any unique words
- process of elimination: TRACK PROGRESS by marking off words as blanks are filled
- use prior knowledge: FILL-IN-THE-BLANKS with remaining word clues that match letter intersection points (previous experience with crossword puzzles)
- use trial and error: continue to FILL-IN-THE-BLANKS that show no letter clues until the puzzle is complete
Download the free puzzle to print and/or copy the file to your computer to complete is using Google Apps version.